Monday, January 21, 2008

Review - Happy Feet soundtrack

Happy Feet
The Soundtrack








* * */* * * * *






So, sue me. I bought me the soundtrack. I liked the film (obviously), so I figured 'eh, why not?'
Really, it's surprising, because even though I liked the film as much as I did, there are some sour notes here.

Let's run through:

1. Prince - "Song of the Heart" - Prince's song is much in the vein of 'Starfish and Coffee' and 'Housequake' from 'Sign of the Times,' in that there's a brazzy background to it, and in the way he sings the song. All in all, a nice little ditty. Won an award.

2. Gia - "Hit Me Up" - Really, I suggest watching the music video for this song instead, because the girl's cute. The song itself is poppy, and upbeat. What confused me was, in the video, all these guys were wearing pink leg warmers. It was like gay "Flashdance" in there.

3. Pink - "Tell Me Something Good" - Eh, it's okay. I've never been a big fan of Pink.

4. Brittany Murphy - "Somebody to Love" - Ah, this is a great track. Here, we actually get the entire song, and that Murphy can sing! Woo! Freddie Mercury would be proud.

5. Patti LaBelle; Yolanda Adams - "I Wish" - I liked this a lot in the movie, specifically in the scene it was in, and it works great here too. Awesome.

6. Jamalski - "Jump 'n Move" - This song's a trip. It's a long political rant by a guy who sounds like the Jamaican Urkal about Nancy Reagan feeling horny, about LSD, and just on and on and on. I wish we heard more of it in the film, heheheh.

7. Beach Boys - "Do It Again" - Eh, it's Beach Boys.

8. Jason Mraz and Ms. Hynnde - "The Joker" with "Everything I Own" - One of my favorite tracks on the soundtrack, but whenever I see Mraz in an interview or something, I just wanna punch him in the face. What a douche. Sigh.

9. Robin Williams - "My Way" - Get's good near the end.

10. Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman - "Kiss" and "Heartbreak Hotel" - This sounded much better in the film. It just sounds really artificial here without the lead in, and all the substitute throw out voices where other songs were. Hugh Jackman can sing though, boy can he.

11. Brittany Murphy - "Boogie Wonderland" - Another good track, but this is just a scene in the film you HAVE to see.

12. K.D. Lang - "Golden Slumbers/The End" - This one really gets going about two minutes in, but before that it's kind of blah. Never really dug K.D. Lang, so meh.

13. John Powell - "The Story of Mumble Happyfeet" - Another really good track, especially near the end. It's one of the more inspiring instrumental tracks I've heard in a while.


So, all in all, it's a good sound track with some bugs in it. What're you gonna do? I bought it.

No comments: