Thursday, February 14, 2008

Top twenty-five films of 2007

1) Before The Devil Knows You're Dead - My favorite from this year; I'm serious. Go see this movie.

2) Sunshine - Good, with a lot of very interesting philosophical ideas. I'll stick it in on a rainy day.

3)Rescue Dawn - Can Christian Bale do no wrong?

4) No Country For Old Men though I didn't like it as much as my brother did, I still found it a great film, and - hey! It's that kid from "The Goonies!"

5) Ratatouille - Top marks for this film - only thing that bugged me was the riff on HF in the end credits, which is all in good fun, I guess.

6) Grindhouse - (half of it)

7) 300 - Being stylistic doesn't equal being a good film. While it wasn't 'bad,' it wasn't one of my favorites, to say that much.

8) Beowulf - Was impressed, to a point. People looked like reanimated corpses. Too much cg-guy ass.

9) I Am Legend - Good film; hated the ending though.

10) Live Free Or Die Hard - Oh, this was horrid. You don't make a "Die Hard" film PG-13. Blasphemy.

11) Vacancy - Succeeded in making me jump, which is rare.

12) Disturbia - Why is Shia Lablarbarg still playing high-school kids, man? It works for some twenty year olds, but it's just weird on him. He shot up fast.

13) Pan's Labyrinth - Ah, Pan's Labyrinth.

14) Zodiac - Excellent film.

15)The Simpsons Movie - Well, I know I enjoyed it. I'm still waiting for a live action version, though.

16) Surf's Up - Good little escapist cg film; there's no real reason for them to be penguins, other than aesthetic value. The first ten minutes, though, are great. Especially the whale scene - it's got a tone all it's own that the rest of the film should've kept.

17)1408 - I don't think there's been a Cusack film I haven't liked. Plus, Samuel L. Jackson.

18) ATHF - The randomness of the show really only works in those fifteen minute doses. The movie, while funny, gets kinda...meh after a while.

19) Spider-Man 3 - I have a love/hate thing going on with this film. I love the character moments - MJ and Harry's thing, Peter's whole saga, all that - but it just puts me off for all the 'filler' they threw in there, as well as all the mock sentimental schmuck. Raimi's better than this; come on now. The end of the film - good moment. Sandman telling his wife 'I'm not a bad guy' - stupid.

20) Transformers - It's Michael Bay. I turned my brain off beforehand and enjoyed it the first and second time around, but come the third time I started noticing all the internal logic flaws, and all that.

21) 28 Weeks Later - Not as good as the first one. Mehz. Girlfriend was appropriately shocked though. She hadn't seen the first one, which is oodles better.

22) Black Snake Moan - Surprisingly good - wasn't what I thought it would be. Plus, Samuel L. Jackson.

23) Snakes On A Plane - Absolutely all hype; I mean, it was gonna be a 'b' film, granted; but I just couldn't get into it. Plus, Samuel L. Jackson.

No comments: